In 2016, the total population was around 17,784,960. In addition to Bangla, which is widely spoken, tribal communities in the diocesan territory speak their own languages.
The Spanish Carmelite missionaries first evangelized the diocese in the 17th century. In the mid-19th century, the area was part of the Krishnagar Mission (now the Diocese of Krishnagar in West Bengal, India). The PIME missionaries came to the area in 1855 and have been there ever since.
The Diocese of Dinajpur covered all of North Bengal when it was erected in 1927 and was entrusted to the PIME missionaries and the bishop was Santino Taveggia PIME, who was earlier the Bishop of Krishnagar. Their main collaborators were the Sisters of Charity (Maria Bambina Sisters). In 1952, Bishop Joseph Obert PIME founded the diocesan Catechist Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, Queen of Angels (CIC). The Missionary Sisters of the Immaculate (MSI, PIME) arrived in the diocese in 1953.
In 1952, after the partition of the subcontinent, the territory comprising the current Indian dioceses of Dumka, Raiganj and part of Jalpaiguri was detached from the Diocese of Dinajpur. In January 1976, Pabna District, along with St. Rita's Parish in Mathurapur, were transferred from the jurisdiction of the Archdiocese of Dhaka to the diocese of Dinajpu to cover the whole of Rajshahi division, across the rivers the Jamuna and the Ganges.
In May 1990, the southern areas were detached to form the new Diocese of Rajshahi.
There is no separate political structure in the diocesan territory. Citizens elect representatives for parliamentary seats. The minority communities have no undue pressure to participate in politics.
Buses, trains and private vehicles are the main modes of transport in Dinajpur . Domestic flights reach only up to Saidpur, about 130 kilometers to the south. Roads connect district towns and rural areas of the diocese.
The diocese covers a land area of 12,638 square kilometers comprising eight civil districts — Dinajpur, Thakurgaon, Panchagar, Rangpur, Nilphamari, Kurigram, Lalmonirhat and Gaibandha — and a sub-district.
The annual per capita income of Bangladesh was US$599 as of June 2008, according to the Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Agriculture is main source of livelihood, with the main products being rice, wheat and lychee. Rice varieties from this area are famous.
Cell phones are ever more popular, and many service providers have come up, in addition to government and private landline service providers.
The literacy rate is 26 percent, according to the local government office.
This fabled church is also known by its Syriac name Mar Sleeva (Holy Cross) Church
Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica at Fort Kochi is one of the finest churches and a historic but also a landmark in Kerala state of southern India. Santa Cruz Church blends Indo-European and Gothic architectural style that draws tens of thousands of pilgrims and tourists every year. The cathedral is a great place of devotion and historic significance that survived colonial conquests and invasions to the city.
Mokama Marian shrine on the southern bank of Ganges River bears the legacy persecuted Nepali Catholics banished from their homeland to India for refusing to renounce their faith. Our Lady of Divine Grace Church at Mokama stands about 90 kilometers from Patna, the capital of eastern Indian state of Bihar. Mother Mary is popularly known as Mokama Mata (Mother of Mokama). The church was built to honor Mary in 1947.
Our Lady of Akita Catholic Church is Yuzawadai is among the most famous churches in Japan. The church shot into global fame thanks to a wooden statue of Blessed Virgin Mary that wept 101 times and Marian apparitions to Japanese nun Sister Agnes Katsuko Sasagawa that miraculously healed her hearing impairment. Japanese wooden sculptor Saburo Wakasa from Akita city carved the now-famous miraculous statue of Virgin Mary in 1963.
The Church of the Visitation in Seremban relishes the treasured legacy of pioneering French missionaries who introduced Catholicism in Kuala Lumpur and surrounding region in the 19th century. The first and oldest Church in Kuala Lumpur became a springboard of evangelization following the arrival of French missionary priest Father Pierre Favre from Paris Foreign Mission Society (MEP). Before settling down in Seremban he carried out missionary activities in the area from hismission station in Malacca.
St. Mary’s Cathedral Church in Ranchi, the capital of Jharkhand state, is the mother church in the tribal belt of eastern India, where Belgian Jesuits laid the foundation of Catholicism in 19th century. This brownish Church, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of Virgin Mary, stands on Dr. Camil Bulcke Path and nestles between St. Xavier’s College and St. Albert Major Seminary.
Basilica of Our Lady of Graces in Sardhana is a historic church that lives the memory of love and benevolence of the sole female Roman Catholic ruler in India. Our Lady of Graces Church of Sardhana stands at Meerut district in Uttar Pradesh of northern India. Consecrated in 1822, this 200-feet long church with a high central dome over the main altar, is one of the largest churches in northern India.
Saint Thomas Cathedral Basilica at Mylapore is a monumental declaration on ancient root of Christianity in India. The church was built over the tomb of St. Thomas, the Apostle who is believed to have preached Christianity in India. The cathedral preserves 2000-year-old bones of the saint and the lance that pierced him to death. Popularly known as Santhome Church, the cathedral at Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu state was constructed during the Portuguese era in the 16th century. “San Thome” assumes its name from St. Thomas.